The cost of knowledge

Ravisankar Mayavaram miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 11 10:59:05 CST 2002

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 04:47:44 -0500, Anand Hudli <anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM>
wrote:

>Having just completed a course on prANAyAma and meditation, I was struck
>by a comment that the teacher made: "I could have taught all this free of
>cost. But if I did, then no one would take it seriously."

It has very little or nothing to do with money. There is a determiner
called "adhikAri laxaNam" -- that should be met. Many requirements go into
this term, just to mention two: a) Need/urge to know b) Qualifications/pre-
requisites needed.

 - Once a rich man came shirdi baba and laid down hundreds of rupees and
asked him for upadesha - Baba refused pointing out that he did not have
background know about the ultimate truth.

- We all have spent hundreds of rupees buying books -- they all simply
adorn the shelf.

- Even if you sell a mahavaakya for million dollars, the buyer would not
gain a thing out of it -- if he does not have the adhikAri laxaNam. For the
one who has the adhikAri laxaNam - listening to it just once should be
suffice.

My 2c.

Ravi