Shiva sutras

Sun Jul 14 21:47:36 CDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, ken knight wrote:

> Many thanks for all the Panini info.  I was somewhat
> careless in my question as I was wondering if we know
> much of the pre-Panini grammarians as well as his own
> insight...

Panini mentions several older authorities such as Shakalya, Shakatayana,
Atreya, etc.  Some of these authors are also know from other linguistic
Vedangas such as Shiksha.

> as has been said; it was all probably a gift
> of grace.

There may have been some prior groundwork but such a full-blown and
intricate arrangement such as the ashtadhyayi has to be the work of a
single genius in my opinion.

> You have given me some new leads for enquiry and i
> will come back to these later on as I must go out
> today, to the Vidya Bhavan in London where I hope to
> hear some insight on the use of 'tadvanam'as a mantra
> in Kena Up. part 4v6.  In the light of advaita this is
> anvery interesting verse and no one on this site
> picked up my question as to the tradition being
> referred to by Swami Nikhilananda in his commentary on
>  this verse.  If you have any comments on this
> reference I would be grateful to learn of it,

That is an upasana or meditation which despite being located in an
upanishad is part of the karmakanda and thus any tradition about its' use
would be restricted to those qualified for it.  What did Swami
Nikhilananda say?