Can one realise the Brahman by intellect alone?

Jagannath Chatterjee jagchat01 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 22 00:07:34 CDT 2002

Respected List Members,

Namaskar.

Whatever we debate upon, the fact remains that our efforts should culminate
into Self Realisation. Sri Shankaracharya laid emphasis on knowledge,
viveka and vichara. Our scriptures say: From Him the senses turn away and
also the mind. So what reaches Him? Sri Ramakrishna (again!) says Brahman
has never been fouled for no one has been able to describe it. The jiva, "a
doll made of salt" goes to measure the ocean. He dissolves into it and is
unable to return and describe his experiences. Sri Ramakrishna had direct
vision of the infinite but when he tried to narrate his innermost
experiences he clearly felt the Mother sealing his lips.

Whenever Bhagawan Sri Ramana was asked direct questions related to the
Absolute he kept meaningfully silent. Buddha too would never describe what
his "emptiness" was. Only Sri Shankarcharya attempts "Aporakshanubhuti"
and "Atma Bodha".

But my question still remains, "Can one realise the Brahman by intellect
alone?".

Yours sincerely

Jagannath.