"Jagat satya!"

Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT] sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at CITIGROUP.COM
Mon Jul 29 14:40:26 CDT 2002

Dear Sri Ashish Chandra,

When you get a chance can you post on Padma Purana's argument against
advaita.  I have not read Padma Purana.  Your posting will be very
educative.  When you have time...

Regards,
SVS

>Ashish Chandra wrote:
>
>> They have always been there. They just came to be noticed (to be noticed
>> you have to be acknowledged in the West) in the 20th century.
>
>Gaudiya Vaishnavism is one of the youngest Vaishnava sects.  As we have
>mentioned, it had its origins amongst Dashanamis.  (One important teacher
>in their sampradaya is actually called Advaitacharya!)  Sure they share
>the Vaishnava opposition to concepts such as Maya but the strident
>anti-Advaita tone is only that of Prabhupada and his followers.

What I meant was that they have been there since at least Sri Chaitanya
Mahaprabhu and winning converts ever since then. They have always attacked
and opposed Advaita but they were not "noticed" till Sri Prabhupada went to
America. You should not forget that the Padma Purana references against
Advaita were not written by Sri Prabhupada and his followers.