Vedantins?

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 11 21:20:21 CDT 2002

>I don't understand this very well, it means that only dvijas are eligible
>to study the vedas according to Sri Shankara ?
>Please explain

Yes, in terms of ritual study of the Veda, and to recite it, in its original
Vedic Sanskrit language, with accents, etc.

On the other hand, the knowledge contained in the Vedas is nevertheless
accessible to non-dvijas through various other sources, chief among these
being the itihAsa and purANa literature. And then we have the various
translations and versions of these in various Indian languages, which came
into being between the 10th and 16th centuries, and in Persian and European
languages since then. These are accessible to all literate people in those
languages.

Shankaracharya's is a middle position, as he is not interested in "social
revolution" like that envisaged in the 19th century, and he is also not
interested in denying the fruits of knowledge to anybody.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar