bhakti

Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT] sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at CITIGROUP.COM
Thu Jun 13 12:18:31 CDT 2002

Ms. SS,

I think the usage of the word jnAna is getting a little confusing in your
mail.  I will explain what I know:

mA in Sankrit means knowledge, knowledge of anything - apple, pen, calculus,
poetry etc.  The prefix "pra" accentuates the noun it precedes.  So the word
pramA means knowledge.  For knowledge to happen there have to be three
entities: pramAta (knower), pramEya (known) and pramANa (means of
knowledge).  When all three are in alignment, then pramA takes place in
other words knowledge or jnAna takes place.

Example:  You have pen in hand (object to be known), eyes are open (means of
sensing color/form) and the mind is attentive (knower), then the knowledge
of the presence of pen happens.

In brahmavidya, pramAta and the pramEya are the same - one's Self.  Sruti is
the pramANa.  So if the Sruti is understood properly then pramAta and
pramEya will be known to be the same.  If it is not understood properly,
pramEya will seem to be something different than pramAta ie., brahman as
something different from one's self - which is ignorance ie., jnAna has not
taken place.

Regards,
SVS