Bhakti Yoga

Stephanie Stean cerebral_rose at MAC.COM
Fri Jun 14 09:46:19 CDT 2002

> b.. The term Bhakthi in Karma yoga and Jnana yoga means the very
> attitude & the very environment respectively in which the sadhana is done.
> There is no Jnana yoga without bhakthi becoz, without a love for God,
> there wil be no striving to know his real nature & the essential oneness
> between the jiva & Iswara.

I understand Iswara to be a manifestation of Brahman. Is this true?

Also, that bhakti, before Jnanam, is directed towards a personal god, which
Iswara is.

But that jnana yoga, is worship and knowledge of the abstract form
(Brahman).

Also, when one knows the real nature of and between Iswara and the jiva, one
Knows Brahman, which is not a personal god or God at all.  Any comments?

When I read about "the concept of" Brahman and what others have said about
Knowing Brahman, I see not a personal god or a God at all.  I see something
different.  Is this not in line with the Advaitin philosophy?  Comments
please.

> e.. We start with love towards God as someone other than us & culminate
> in discovering the oneness & hence god -love transforms into self-love.

Is this according to Advaitin philosophy?  Or is this idea representative of
dvaita or visishtadvaita doctrine?

Take care,

Stephanie