Advaita terminology

Thu Mar 7 22:08:36 CST 2002

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Srikrishna Ghadiyaram wrote:
>
> > On careful reading, I understand, Kutastha is referred
> > to Paramatman and not Jivatman. (as you mentioned).
> >
> > But I am wondering what is the significance of using
> > the word for 'Brahman' with reference to 'Isvara', and
> > the word 'Kutastha'  with reference to 'Jiva', when
> > they both refer to the same 'thing'.
> >
> > Kindly give your comments.

The difference is in the viewpoint.  From the paramarthic viewpoint
of the jnani there is only Brahman.  No further difference is
necesary or even possible.  But from the vyavaharic or conventional view
there is the appearence of difference.  In between the maryada or ordinary
worldly person, and the vidvan or knower of Brahman, Swami Vidyaranyas'
jivanmuktiviveka mentions an intermediate stage, that of the vividisha or
seeker of Brahman.  Such a person is still in vyavahara but peeking into
paramartha as it were.  He knows that Ishvara is not just Ishvara but also
Brahman, and the jiva is not just the jiva but also kutasthatman but the
knowledge has not yet been perfected.  So he still has some feeling of
difference (though not as much as an ordinary person) hence the seperate
terminology.

>From  Fri Mar  8 15:47:37 2002
        <ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>
> The difference is in the viewpoint.  From the
> paramarthic viewpoint
> of the jnani there is only Brahman.  No further
> difference is
> necesary or even possible.

When a person of the paramarthic viewpoint is hungry,
what does he do?