Scale of Jnani's

Hemant reachhemant at ETH.NET
Tue Mar 12 01:20:17 CST 2002

Sri Ravishankar has clarified his stand. I wish to add my own understanding of the matter. For a particular assertion to qualify as authentically advaitic it has to be either logically compelling or backed up by canonical evidence. Since Daveji's ideas appear to be his own I will go only into the logical aspect of the matter. Daveji arranges jnanis in a scale. In highest scale he puts those who choose to keep silent. From this I with my coarse intellect concluded that Sankara cannot be placed in the highest category.This however had the effect of creating a storm in a teacup. It was suggested that I was insinuating an Olympics of realization which was sacrilege. If however there is no such Olympics then Daveji's origanal assertion is absurd on the face of it. Sri Ravishankar's idea that post-realisation, the jnAni's behaviour  depends on how the World-Mother chooses to work out his prArabdha karma appears simple and logically satisfactory to me.
              There are some(Kenji) who believe that a mere jnAni  is inferior to the practitioner of para bhakti a la Papa Ramdas. This if  some wise man could clarify I would be most obliged.
                                                                  Your's truly,
                                                                     Hemant