Question about Varna

swamy swarna swamyswarna at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 23 07:43:06 CST 2002

Actually, if we accept that Varnas were created by God
(as He declares in Gita), it is also probably correct
to think that they were born in a particular Varna,
because of their purva janma 'vasanas' to enable them
to grow up in a proper spiritual atmosphere. No one
becomes a Brahmin by birth. The very word 'Dwija'
denotes 'twice born', i.e. the one who has undergone
the spiritual opening of the third eye (upanayana
samskaram means that) and not just a ritual.

A soul born in a 'responsible' Varna (if some body has
to talk of upper caste, it is only from this angle
that he or she has more responsibility to observe
Dharma), the punishment for deviation is much more. It
is like when an innocent or ignorant person commits a
mistake, the penalty is less, compared to what an
educated person has to pay.

Those who are charged with performing pujas, vratas
and yagnas are especially subject to this law. If one
is not in a position to observe Swadharma, one should
be honest enough to admit it and not indulge in any
hypocritical practices. That would be much more
harmful in the long run.

Swamy SV

http://www.braincells.com/shailaja/