Brahmin vs Brahman

Mon Mar 25 08:48:55 CST 2002

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan wrote:

> There is a clear phonetic difference between Brahman (the supreme spirit)
> and BraahmaNa or BraahmaN (the priest).

Sorry phonetic was the wrong choice of words.  What I meant to say is the
word is the same only some inflections are different.  This can b a
problem in Sanskrit if one doesn't know all the rules.  For example take
this passage from the Gita:

Om ityekaksharam brahma

The correct translation is "Om is the one-syllabled Brahman" not "Om is
the one-syllabled Prajapati."