Prakarana Granthas of Adi Sankara

Vivek Anand Ganesan v_ganesan at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 25 14:12:00 CST 2002

Namaste Jaldharji and others,

  I have some concerns about the same issue. As you have
rightly pointed out, many works do claim to be upanishads
( even the gItA states that it is an upanishad; nobody
regards it as such, to the best of my knowledge ). My
question pertains to how the canonical version of the
108 upanishads came about and what were the criteria used
to form the list?

  Now, regarding the vajrasUchIka Upanishad :
1) The advaita vedAnta homepage itself lists it as part of
   the 108 upanishads accepted by the smArthA tradition
   ( http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/avhp/upanishad.html )
     - under the sAmAnya vedAnta category for sAma veda

2) I am assuming that brahmashrI upanishad brahmendra, who
   is said to have commented on all of the 108 upanishad-s
   would have written one for the vajrasUchika as well.
   Since his work is accepted as canonical ( atleast the
   kAnchi maTha does, I think ), why is there a doubt about
   the authenticity or the canonical status of the
   vajrasUchIka upanishad?

3) If I remember correctly, the last time on the same topic
   you had doubted if the vajrasUchI that was quoted was
the
   same one mentioned in the list. I request knowledgeable
   list members to shed more light on this. Did shrI
   brahmendra or any other scholar comment on the same
   exact verses which were quoted?

Thanks,

-Vivek.

http://www.braincells.com/shailaja/