Church's thesis & Sankara's argument re: Cause of liberation

Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU
Fri Mar 29 15:47:20 CST 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> A forwarded message from Bhadraiah Mallampalli <vaidix at hotmail.com> which
> I think you might find interesting.

[..]

> "There is no algorithm that, given a program of language L and an input to
> that program, can determine whether or not the given program will eventually
> halt on the given input."

[..]

> Now, discussion regarding this: First, let us formulate Sankara's assertion
> using terms of computer science:
>
> "It is not a case that there is a logical argument A in a human language L
> and an input instruction I that, a human being H who thinks the language L
> on receiving the input I, would eventually attain liberation and stop
> thinking." I hope it is close enough.

Actually, if you carefully compare this to Church's thesis, the equivalent
formulation of Shankara's philosophy would be:

"It is not a case that there is a logical argument A in a human language L
and an input instruction I, that CAN DETERMINE WHETHER a human being H who
thinks the language L on receiving the input I, would eventually attain
liberation and stop thinking."

You missed out the "can determine whether" clause.

[..]

> And this is not to say that Sankara's conclusion is limited to Church's
> thesis re: halting problem! All I am trying to say is, that one of Sankara's
> statements is isomorphic to one of the topics (if not propositions or
> theorems) of computer science.

The isomrophism (one-to-one correspondence) of Shankara's and Church's
theses would be:

argument A      -- advaita, tarka
language L      -- Sanskrit
Human    H      -- Self
Instruction I   -- shruti

In other words, "There is no argument that can determine whether or not a
person hearing the shruti will achieve Self-realization."

I think all would agree with that. But Shankara does in fact say that
shruti can stop the process of thought in an advanced sAdhaka. It is only
in the very ignorant ones that the input of shruti does not halt the
thought process.

> Best regards
> Bhadraiah Mallampalli

Thank you for the comparison between Church's thesis and Shankaran
advaita.

-Kartik