Gayatri Mantra

Aniruddhan ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU
Thu May 16 09:37:56 CDT 2002

namaste,

Assuming that the quoted mantra from the SYV exists and is translated
correctly, it seems to be only saying that *the knowledge the vedas contain*
is universal, and not that the vedas or the gayatri mantra themselves can be
chanted by everybody. This seems to be consistent with the orthodox advaita
vedanta view that non-dvijas can gain jnAna through the smritis, itihasas
and puranas.

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam

Aniruddhan