Concept of personal God and Advaita

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 23 11:47:42 CDT 2002

Hari Om !!

--- Stephanie Stean <cerebral_rose at MAC.COM> wrote:

> 1) If I'm not misunderstanding, what you're saying
> is that "awareness" is
> not experience, but we do experience "awareness."
> Is that right?
>

> 2) Referring to the comment (and I don't remember
> who said it) that advaita
> is divorced from experience.  This seems to separate
> what was not meant to
> be separated.  If all is One, then how can awareness
> be divorced from
> experience?
>
> I hope these questions make sense.  Thank you.
>

> On 5/23/02 10:08 AM, "Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V
> [IT]"
> <sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at CITIGROUP.COM> wrote:
>
> > Every experience is an "awareness" of something.
> Every cognition
> > is an "awareness" of something.  But there is
> nothing like awareness of
> > awareness (will lead to infinite regression).
> That is why awareness is not
> > experience.

The divorce is in the usage of the word, as Noun and
Verb.

In the sentence, "every experience is an "awareness"
of something. Every cognition is an "awareness" of
something", it uses the word "awareness" as a verb,
because "something" is claimed as its object. Here
when we question "whose cognition ? or whose awareness
? We expect an answer "I" which is different from
"Awareness". But, the Sruthi says, that "I" is not the
final answer, and infact the "Awareness" is the real
"I" making the "Awareness" as Noun, so to say.

Probably, it is just a matter of agreeing the origin
of Life Vs Consciousness (or matter Vs Consciousness).
The Sruthi saying that Consciousness is the Origin,
and the matter came from consciousness, the matter -
'I' thought itself is supported by the "Awareness" -
"Consciousness". Since every thing originated from
consciousness, we ought to be "Awareness" or
"Consciousness" with a superimposition of Matter.
There is no infinite regression; rather infinite
regression comes up when we mix usage of Noun and
Verb, unintelligently, and assume that there is a
duality of "I" different from that "Awareness-Noun".

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna