change of email address

Rupa Misra rupamisra at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 30 05:25:56 CDT 2002

Dear Moderator:

Wondering if it is possible to send me all the emails
in misra77 at yahoo.com instead of rupamisra at yahoo.com.

Will appreciate your help.

--RM

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

>From  Thu May 30 09:15:01 2002
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 09:15:01 -0700
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>
From: "Venkatesh ." <venky at OREKA.COM>
Subject: Weekly page from Hindu Dharma: Omens. Signs

This week's page from Hindu Dharma (see note at bottom) is "Omens. Signs" from "Jyotisa". The original page can be found at http://www.kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part10/chap6.htm.

Next week, you will be emailed "Modern Discoveries in Ancient Works" (from "Jyotisa")

Best regards
for kamakoti.org

Venkatesh
(this email is being sent on an automated basis)

Omens. Signs
from Jyotisa, Hindu Dharma

      Where can you discover water? Where does ground water occur? Or where do streams flow inside the earth? By what signs on the surface do you make out the presence of water underground? How are perfumes manufactured? What are the right measurements for a house? These questions are discussed in the samhita-skandha of Jyotisa. Also omens and signs.

 "Sakuna" is one thing, "nimitta" quite another. "Sakuna" literally means a bird: only signs connected with birds come under the category of "Sakuna". All things in this world are interrelated: all happenings are linked to one another. If we know the precise scale and manner in which events are woven together, we would be able to know everything. Everything in this world occurs according to the will of the One Being and according to a precise system. So with reference to one we can know all others. Palmistry, "arudam" (a method of devination), astrology, all are interrelated.

 What does a bird flying from right to left indicate? What is foretold by the chirping of such and such a bird? Question like these belong to the sakuna-sastra. "Nimitta" means omen. "Nimittani ca pasyami viparitani Kesava" says Arjuna to Krsna before the start of the battle of Kuruksetra. He uses the right word "nimitta" while we use the word "sakuna" carelessly. When a cat crosses our path it is an omen; when an eagle flies above us it is a sakuna.

 To go back to Arjuna. The Lord tells Arjuna: "Nimittamatram bhava Savyasacin". This is in answer to Arjuna telling Krsna, lamenting, that it is sinful to kill one's enemies [or one's kin]. Says krsna: "I have already resolved to slay them in this battle. So they are already as good as dead. It is I who will kill them. You are a mere tool" (Nimittamatram bhava).

 A nimitta does not produce any result on its own. It points to the result that has already been ordained by some other factor--or, in other words, it merely indicates the fruits of our past karma.

Note:
Hindu Dharma is a translation of two volumes of the well known Tamil Book "Deivatthin Kural", which, in turn, is a book of 6 volumes that contains talks of His Holiness Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Mahaswamiji of Kanchipuram. The entire book is available online at http://www.kamakoti.org/ .