Indra and Vrtra (fwd)

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Nov 5 14:51:33 CST 2002

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 01:35:54 -0500, Bhadraiah Mallampalli
<vaidix at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Namaste,
>
>I am interested in the etymology of vRtra. The suffix tra means protection.
>gaayatri is one who sings and protects. Just a speculation, extending this
>logic vRtra may be one who encircles and protects. Any help is welcome.

Namaste,

First we need to consider how we split vRtra:
vRtra = vR + tra, OR
vRtra = vRt + ra,

(Rt = law of nature)

I am not sure which is the correct split and
more important how to analyze the coppesponding
segments.

Regards
Shrinivas