Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 7 07:13:08 CST 2002

I have made a mistake and said the opposite..

Here is Sri Sankara's commentary to first mantra of Ch.U:

"All rituals performed along with meditation on Prana and other deities
become the cause of reaching Brahmaloka (region of hiranya garbha) through
solar path (devayaana marga) and rituals alone without such meditation
become the cause of attaining Lunar region through path of smoke (pitryaana
maarga). And it has been said that those who prompted by personal tendencies
become distracted from either of the two paths fall downwards. Besides there
can not be attainment of the highest human goal evey by following devayaana
or pitryaana, therefore the reality of nondual self which is dndependentt of
rites, has to be presented through a process of eradication of the cause
leading to the three ways of rebirth."

I should restate: There is general aversion in newa gers re: rites and
rituals. I agree that ritual is not any way helpful for liberation but if an
unliberated thinker rejects rites & rituals it can lead to downfall!

Bhadraiah