What is Vairagya? (fwd)

Mon Nov 25 21:59:25 CST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: KRISHNA RAO <braos at yahoo.com>

Dear Learned People,
What exactly is Vairagya? First of all is it relevant to the principles
of Advaita Vedanta? If this has been already discussed, I would request
you to guide me to the relevant discussion on the website.
Does it mean complete renunciation of the world?
Or can even momentary detachments imply a state of Vairagya?
Is it a complete detachment from the physical body and materialistic
forms?
How will the person exercising restraint of some kind [my understanding
of vairagya] benefit from it?
What is it in actuality?
Krishna