Radha - consort of Krishna

Malolan Cadambi cadambi at HOTPOP.COM
Tue Oct 8 23:15:46 CDT 2002

Dear Members,

I was reading Yadavabhyudayam of Vedanta Desika (Appayya Dikshita has written a commentary to this). There are technically two Radhas.

1.) Radheya is mentioned in Srimad Bhagavatam. This is not the Radha who devotees worship now.
2.) Radha as celebrated by Jayadeva and the Radha we know now.

Jayadeva introduced Radha into the cultural mileu of South India. The Alwars mention only Napinnai not Radha.

Radha, whom we know now is mentioned only in the Brahma Vaivarta Purana and the BrahmAnda Purana.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Malolan Cadambi