New member introduction: Steve Wray

Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT] sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at CITIGROUP.COM
Thu Oct 24 08:59:01 CDT 2002

> Thus there would be a way to 'translate' from one
> paradigm to the other.
>
> Naturally, there are bound to be areas of both which
> do not translate well into the other!
>
> Or perhaps 'validation' is the wrong term altogether.

"Reconciliation" is probably what you are looking for.  I request you also
to browse the archives of this list where many people have expressed their
opinions in the past between these two fields of knowledge.

I have met people of both extremes:  on the one hand some people (like my
father-in-law) believes that there will come a day when science and Vedanta
will reconcile 100% and there would seamless flow of ideas from both sides.
On the other hand there are people who think that they will never since the
problem domain of both bodies of knowledge belong to different orders of
reality namely empirical and phenomenal.

I think only those who are adept at both will be able to make an
authoritative comment on it.  So far the only conclusion that I can come to
is that there seem to be certain overlaps in the methodologies adopted by
both.  I can't recollect the specific instances of such observation, but do
carry a cumulative impression over a period of learning.

Please do keep us educated with your ideas as you advance in your studies.

Regards,
SVS