Neti Yoga

Tue Sep 10 23:16:13 CDT 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Ashish Chandra wrote:

> there is a definite disconnect here between the orthodoxy and others -
> the former favoring just one single approach and the latter (like me as
> well) trying everything that points you closer and closer to where you
> want to go.

A misconception should be cleared up here.  Just bcause Advaitins don't
believe "anything goes" it doesn't follow they only want "one approach."
There is a middle ground.  The example of English grammar is apt.  Withing
the "rigid" confines of English grammar, there is room for poetry and
technical manuals, train tickets and letters to grandma.  But if someone
chooses to speak German that isn't another approach to English, it is a
different thing altogether.