Creation theories (was Re: What is the exactmeaning/significance of this?)

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 25 13:29:00 CDT 2003

Namaskaaram,

>Now, what is the Atman that goes through the
>states of waking, dreaming and so forth? It is the jIva, i.e. the tvam in
>the statement tattvamasi.

I have a doubt. If the Atman described is jIva, then referring to the third
state, a state where Self-realization has not yet occured, why does the
upanishad say that it is the lord of all beings etc? We are not experiencing
ourself as the lord of the universe in the third state. Given this, can one
say that Atman here refers to jIva?

Best regards
Kalyan