[Advaita-l] Mahabharata and Ramayana - English translations

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Aug 1 10:57:53 CDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Srikrishna Ghadiyaram wrote:

> Hari Om !!
>
> I am looking for Mahabharata and Ramayana with
> complete Sanskrit slokas, word-meaning, translation
> and commentary. Would you please suggest me the best
> options available. If  one book does not serve all the
> purposes, what are the options..
>
> I came across the following books at Motilal
> Banarsidas.
>
> Mahabharata:
>
> 1.	M.N. Dutt and Sshvar Chandra – 9 Volumes
> 2.	Kisari Mohan Ganguly – 12 Volumes
> 3.	Ramachandra Sastri – 6 Volumes
>
> Ramayana:
>
> 1. Ravi Prakash Arya and M.N. Dutt - 4 Vols
>
> Please give your comments on these

I'm  not familiar with these but

>and any other titles available in the market.

The critical edition of the Mahabharata was published by the Bhandarkar
Oriental Research Institute.  The late Prof. J.A.B. Van Buitenen of the
University of Chicago began translating it into English but he only got up
to the 6th parvan before he died.

Nag publishers in Delhi have published the Mahabharata along with the Tika
of Nilakantha.  They also have an edition of the Ramayana with four
commentries.

I'm not aware of any full English translations of the Valmiki Ramayana.