[Advaita-l] Re: Vivekachudamani vs Bhashyas

Sundaram, Vaidya (MED) Vaidya.Sundaram at med.ge.com
Fri Aug 8 15:15:57 CDT 2003

> Shankara says in his UpadeshasAhasrI:
> "The mahAvAkya *by itself* results in mukti."
>
> OTOH, the author of the VC says:
> "The mahAvAkya *by itself* DOES NOT result in mukti."

namaskaram.
 a look at adhikaari requirements is a must here. Just as the Vedas have
both the karma kandas for preparatory reasons and jnana kandas for
meditation leading on to liberation, so also with verses by the
acharyas. Clearly, it is obvious that no amount of veda or vedanta
sravana will NOT result in liberation. While liberation is not the
result of an effort, removal of ignorance is definitely an effort bound
result. Or at least, that is definitely my understanding. That being the
case, one needs preparation to get to the point where a simple sravana
of the mahavakya is sufficient.
 Taking such a small fraction (one verse from here and there) and trying
to stereo type such a personality as Shankara is meaningless in my
opinion.
bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.