[Advaita-l] A Strategy for Discussion on the SoundaryalahariDigest

M. S. Ravisankar ravi at ambaa.org
Fri Aug 22 09:08:11 CDT 2003

> As most of the scholars believe that soundaryalahari is a tAntric work &
> one can hardly find any references as regards to tantra sAdhana in major
> works of shankara.  So is the case with praprancha sAra, lalita triShati
> bhAshya which are ascribed shankara bhagavadpAda.

I dont think you can say that about shrii lalitaa trishatii bhaashhya. The
names are interepreted in the line vedAnta and not tantra. I have posted the
meaning of close to 170 names on this list, read it for yourself. Shankara
supports his interpretation mostly from shruti-s. Even for names where it
would be tempting for a shAkta to interpret in tantric lines, the bhaashya
clearly steers clear of it.

Value of trishatii bhaashyaa is so high, it really does not matter even if
it was not authored by aadi shankara and intead by a later shankaraacharya.
But you have to understand that the interpretation is in line of vedAnta.

namaH shivAyai cha namaH shivAya

Ravi