[Advaita-l] Bhutas and Tantra

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Aug 25 12:20:26 CDT 2003

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, venkata subramanian wrote:

>  The reply has cleared some of my doubts.  however, in the Srimad
> Bhagavad Gita Bhashya, is not the Acharya using the word - Vinayaka
> matrugana chaturbhaginyadi.....(if i remember correct).
>  the word "vinayaka" there is it not is singular ?!  the "adi" is only
> the prathyahara of etc.  thus vinayaka is it not in singular there.  if
> it is so, then how come can we take it directly as vinayakas and mean
> only the evil spirits.

Yes it is singular.  However each of the commentators mentions groups in
explaining this shloka.  Alongside the three Shankaracharya mentioned,
Shankaranandi and Gudarthadipika also mention: yakshas, rakshasas,
yakshinis, vetalas, pishachas, and kshetrapalas as examples of bhutas.
They are all groups of devayonis.

It just struck me that perhaps it is similiar to the way Rudra is
represented as one or eight or eleven or even an infinite number of
Rudras.

>  Also, if i remember correct, i have seen a description of Uma Himavan's
> daughter as Brahma vidya in the Kena Upanishad Bhashya.  Where is this
> description given in the Chandyogya Bhashya ?

No it's my mistake it should be kenopanishad.

>  in any case, thank you for the Chapter from Yagnyavalkya smrithi in
> this regard.

Another mistake is vinayakakalpadiprakarana is the 11th not 7th.

In researching this I found it curious that none of the commentators have
made the equation Vinayaka = Ganesh.