[Advaita-l] Re: Bhutas and Tantra

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Aug 29 01:05:30 CDT 2003

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com wrote:

> praNAm Sri Jaldhar Prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> >  Thanks for the clarification prabhuji.  I am sorry for wrongly
> mentioning the name.  ( But, still  I vaguely remember that you did mention
> appaiah dikshita in that post:-))

Yes because Appayya Dikshita also set out to prove the supremacy of a God
over another (Shiva Bhagavan instead of Vishnu Bhagavan) and then came to
the realization that they were one and the same.

> >  Yes that might be the case since the field of veda is very vast. But I
> do strongly feel that these occasional intersections only limited to karma
> kAnda portion of vedas.  What is your opinion prabhuji??

Bhaskaraya seemed to think that Shrividya and Advaita Vedanta both have
the same goal in mind -- moksha -- and the various attempts at gaining
power we usually associate with the term tantra such as bewitching people
or conjuring gold etc. are lower pursuits which are distractions from the
true purpose of Tantric upasana.  Contemporary teachers also say the same
thing.  He doesn't hesitate to quote from the upanishads to explain
certain Tantric theories.  Tantric thought of all stripes is also heavily
affted by Samkhya/Yoga notions which have a Vedic source.