[Advaita-l] Transliteration

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 30 20:45:37 CDT 2003

>MaNduKyA, would that be a different word? As a
>person who has the misfortune of not knowing
>Sanskrit, my guess of course is that the capital
>letters are where they are for a reason. I haven't
>figured it out or I missed something somewhere.

Dear Min,

Yes, the capitals are used for a specific purpose, as a shortcut
transliteration scheme, to avoid complicated transliteration marks like
macron, underdot etc. Please see www.advaita-vedanta.org/avhp/ and go to the
link called Transliteration at the top. There is an explanation of the
symbols there. I will add a pronunciation key to that page soon. Feel free
to ask if anything on that page is unclear.

Best regards,
Vidyasankar