[Advaita-l] (Info) APTHOARYAAMA YAAGAM - A SCIENTIFIC EVALUATION PROJECT

Prasad Balasubramanian besprasad at lycos.com
Mon Dec 1 01:34:03 CST 2003

<srinath_atreya at y...> wrote:
|| Shri Gurubhyo Namah ||
|| namah parama RshiBhyO namah parama RshiBhyah ||

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Nikaame Nikaame Ha Vai Tatra Parjanyo Varshati…
Phalinyo Ha Vai Tatra Oashadhayah Pachyanthey…
Kalpathey Ha Vai Prajaabhyo Yogakshemaha
Yatraitheyna Yajneyna Yajanthey

- Taittiriya Brahmanam, 3:8:13

"It will rain abundantly whenever we desire; plants and trees will
bear fruits and grains profusely; People will attain Yogakshema -
welfare,
security and prosperity… Where yajna is performed."

A group of lovers of Vedic culture in Kerala have come together to try
and organize the Yajna described below. The Chief Patron will be
Swami Ranganathananda Maharaj.

Please circulate this information as widely as possible to help in
this great effort.

***********************
|| Yajney Sarvam Prathishtitham ||
|| Saagnichitya Sarvaprushta Sarvasthoama ||

Vedic Yajna Prathishtaan,
Prabha Sadan
Poonkunnam
Trichur - 680 002.
Kerala
Tel: 0487 - 2381854.

OM SHANTI DHAMA,
3371, 13th Cross, K.R. Road,
Second Main, Shastri Nagar,
Bangalore - 560 028.
Tel : 080 - 676 1057 / 676 8866

APTHOARYAAMA YAAGAM

Yagnesaachyuta govinda maadhavaanantha kesava |
Krishno vishnoh hrisheekesa vaasudeva namoasthuthey ||

- Vishnu Puranam, 2:13:9

Respected Mahaasayas and Mahilaamanis,

We have great pleasure to inform you that by the grace of God,
blessings of Mahatmas, and goodwill and affection of the people, it
is proposed to organize the performance of Saagnichitya Sarvaprushta
Sarvasthoama Apthoaryaama Yaagam at Mulakunnanthukavu, Thrissur
district, Kerala in April 2004.

I. PROMOTERS

The performance of this great Vedic ritual is being promoted jointly
by the VEDIC YAGNA PRATHISTHAAN, Mulakunnathukavu and OM SHANTI
DHAM,Bangalore with the co-operation of SROUTHA SHASTRA PARISHAD,
Thrissur.

Il. OBJECTIVES.

The objectives are:

1. To scientifically evaluate the effects of Vedic rituals on Nature,
human beings, animals and plants with the help of eminent scientists
and modern, sophisticated equipment.

2. To revive, rehabilitate, rejuvenate and restore to deserving
heights our Vedic and Srouthic traditions. (Sroutha is the branch of
knowledge dealing with yajna).

3. To propagate the lofty principles and Universality of Vedic
culture;and to bring Veda to the people and the people to Veda.

4. To organize exhibitions, seminars, and assembly of scholars from
allparts of India for exchange of thought and information; and
enlightening the people about Veda, Sroutha, and related subjects.

III. THE RITUAL

Apthoaryama is a gigantic Vedic ritual. it is the seventh and the
biggest of the seven important Soma Yaagas known as SAPTHA SOMA
SAMSTHAS; the others being, AGNISHTHOMA, ATHYAGNISHTOMA, UKTHYA,
SHODASI, VAAJAPEYA and ATHIRAATHRA.

Apthoaryaama encompasses performance of an enormous number of rituals
and recitation of thousands of Rig Veda and Yajur Veda mantras and
chanting of innumerable Sama Veda mantras. Mantras from Atharva Veda
are also utilized.

GARUDA CHAYANA:

This yajna has another important component, namely,
MAHAAGNI CHAYANA or GARUDA CHAYANA. The main FIRE-ALTAR (HAVANA-VEDI)
for the yajna is constructed with one thousand baked clay bricks of
different shapes and dimensions. They are piled in five layers; one
over the other, each layer consisting of two hundred bricks. When
completed,the altar assumes the shape of an Eagle with outstretched
wings. Many rituals and the recitation and chanting of Veda mantras
accompany. the construction and consecration of this main altar. Each
brick or group of bricks is piled reciting Veda mantras. About one-
third of KrishnaYajur Veda Taittiriya Samhita is utilized for these
rituals. The glorious Sri Rudra and Chamaka are among the mantras
utilized.

SOMAYAAGAS:

Somayaagas are elaborate and complex Vedic rituals. The rituals of
Aptoaryaama spread over 10-12 days and around the clock on
some days. The Vedic texts and manuals relating to yajna are
voluminous.

A large chunk of Rig Veda, Yajur Veda, and Sama Veda is associated
with yajna; as mantras to be utilized and their interpretation, and as
commandments, precepts, rules and procedural details.

The performer of the yajna (Yajamaana), Aacharyas, Ruthviks
(officiating priests) and others doing priestly duties are to be well
versed in Veda and should possess mastery and the on-the-job
experience in Sroutha.Such persons are few in number at present.

Even in Tamilnadu, Andhra and Maharashtra, where varieties of
Somayaagas are performed every year; the performance of Apthoaryaama
takes place only once in a few years. This may be due to the
profundity and complexity of this yajna.

IV. THE KERALA SCENARIO.

Nampoothiris in Kerala have been performing only two varieties of
Somayaaga; AGNISHTOMA and SAAGNICHITHYA ATHIRAATHRA; but there is
evidence to establish that Apthoaryaama also used to be performed in
earlier days. The great scholar and outstanding Sroutha maestro,
ERKARA RAMAN NAMPOOTHIRI has stated in his book "SROUTHA KARMA
VIVEKAM', on page 176 (Anadi Books, Kunnamkulam); that more than 200
years ago, KAIMUKKU VAIDIKAN; an eminent expert in Veda and Sroutha
has written a palm-leaf grantha in Samskrit titled "PRAYOGA VRITTI".
Erkara states that the details of yajnas now being performed in
Kerala (AGNISHTOMA and ATHIRAATHRA ) as well as those which were
being performed earlier,
viz., SHODASI, APTHOARYAAMA, SOUTHRAMANI etc. are given in the
grantha. In his book, EKAAHAA HEENA SATHRAMGAL (Preeti Books,
Trichur), through pages 133-143, Erkara has quoted extensively the
portions relating to the procedure of Aptoaryaama from Prayoga
Vritti. It is therefore quite certain that Aptoaryaama was performed
in Kerala in earlier days. It is thus evident that the proposal to
perform Aptoaryaama is also an attempt to revive a lost tradition.

V. VENUE

The lush green paddy fields adjoining the Sree Narayana temple in
Mulakunnathukavu has been selected as the venue for the yajna. The
temple surroundings and the general rustic ambience provide an
appropriate setting for an event of this kind. It has all the
facilities required for the smooth and efficient conduct of the
yajna. The venue is located slightly away from the din and bustle of
Trichur city, towards the North; and the road to the venue takes off
from the Trichur-Shomur highway.

VI. PERSONNEL

The yajarnaana for this yajna will be Shri DEEPAK APTE and his
Dharmapatni, Smt. DEEKSHITHA APTE; from Goa. They have already
performed two Somayaagas. The main Ruthviks will be Adhwaryu Shri
NAAGAANANDA PURANIK, Brahman; Shri KESHAVA SHARMA JOGLEKAR, Hotar;
Shri GANESH SHARMA JOGLEKAR, Udgaathar; Shri SUBRAHMANYA SHARMA
SAAMAGA, Sadasya;
Shri VASUDEVA PARANJYPE, all of whom belong to Karnataka.

Shri Vasudeva Paranjype from Mysore, an erudite scholar and expert in
Poorva Meemansa and the members of the Joglekar family from Gokarnam,
who are reputed for their Sroutha expertise, will provide the
leadership.

The other ruthviks will also be from Gokarnam, Mysore and other parts
of Karnataka. It is assured that the caliber of the ruthviks will be
high.To ensure that they are thorough and their standard of
performance is high; rehearsals have started.

In conformity with the lofty principles of Veda, and as envisaged by
great souls like Erkara Raman Nampoothiri, people from all sections of
the society will be involved in various activities and functions of
the yajna.

VII. EQUIPMENT

Most of the equipment and vessels required for the yajna are made of
wood or baked clay. These will be got made and brought by the
yaajnikaas. The bricks required for the main altar will be
manufactured
in Thrissur district.

VIII. OTHER ACTIVITIES

I . Scientific evaluation: A team of eminent scientists will be
constituted to conceive, plan and execute scientific studies of the
yajna's effect on Nature, human beings, animals and plants.

Studies of the effect on environment will include study of atmospheric
temperature, pressure, humidity, rainfall and study of electromagnetic
fields and nuclear radiation.

Studies on human beings will include measurement of brain waves and
cardiological analyses.

Studies on animals will include, besides others, behavioral patterns.

2. Vedic exhibition: An elaborate Vedic exhibition will be arranged to
enlighten the public about the various streams of knowledge enshrined
in Veda. There will be models of the yajnasaala including the eagle
shapedaltar, implements and vessels used in the yajna etc. With the
help of charts, paintings and models, attention of the general public
will be drawn to the insights in Veda.

3. Assembly of Scholars: Seminars and assembly of scholars and
experts in Veda and Sroutha from all parts of India will be organized.

4. Contact with Public:

a. Ratha Yaatra: A ratha yaatra from Amritsar to Kanyakumari and from
there to the venue of the yajna is planned to take the message of Veda
and yajna to the common man.

b. Cultural and social organizations and the public: All efforts will
be made to enlist the association, support and co-operation of
cultural
and social organizations and the general public. Our aim, we would
like to re-emphasise; is to bring Veda to the common people and the
common people to Veda and to inculcate the lofty principles and
Universality of Vedic culture in the minds of the people.

c. Blessings of Mahatmas: We shall seek the blessings of Saints and
spiritual leaders for the auspicious fulfilment of this great ritual.

IX: BUDGET

The provisional estimates of the outlay for the yajna are given below:

(Rupees in LAKHS)

RITUAL

Dakshina, clothes, implements, bricks, yaagasala, Offering materials
like Ghee, etc. 10.00

SCIENTIFIC EVALUATION 5.00

VEDIC EXHIBITION 5.00

ASSEMBLY OF SCHOLARS 2.00

RATHA YATRA 8.00

PRINTING, POSTAGE, TRAVEL, OFFICE EXPENSES 3.00

FOOD EXPENSES 5.00

CONTINGENCIES 2.00

------------------
TOTAL 40.00 LAKHS
-------------------

We appeal to all to associate, involve and co-operate with this great
and noble effort and benignly, liberally and magnanimously contribute
for this great and glorious yajna; the aim and objective of which is
the welfare, well being, prosperity and security of all men, animals,
plants and everything in the Universe.

Yours sincerely,
VEDIC YAJNA PRATHISHTAAN &
OM SHANTI DHAMA