[Advaita-l] aham "kara"

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 22:31:42 CST 2003

The following para is nice to contemplate, to just reproduced again:-

I understand your problem clearly as I went through a
similar situation two years ago, until I listened to
lectures of Swami Dayananda of Arsha Vidya Gurukulam.
The message I got was that we must understand the
'Whole' before we can understand the 'parts' fully.
So, once the vision of 'Purna Brahman' is grasped, and
(then) when you try to see the meaning of 'That Thou
Art', you will be compelled to see that 'You' are
'PurnaH'. So, 'You' are that 'Brahman'. In Sanskrit
'aham' simply means 'I'. As we know there is only one
'I', whoever says it. The nature/expression/vritti of
mind is 'ahamkAra'. So, this aham + kAra have to be
separated by knowledge and understand that 'kara' or
'kartrutvam' does not belong to 'aham' and it belongs
to the mind.

I think the best place to read and understand this
nature of 'aham' is 'upadESa sAhasrI'

Thanks & Regards,
Venkat.

Sadgurubhyo Namah.