Chanting of the name

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 3 06:13:47 CST 2003

--- Ravi Mayavaram <ravi at AMBAA.ORG> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 04:36:44 -0800, kuntimaddi sadananda
> <kuntimaddisada at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
>
> >As the meditation proceeds the there is a shift in the attention from
> >the thought to the silence in between the thoughts.
> >This is the essence of japa-yoga.
>
> The example of krishhNa and gopika-s was cited by you is very
> beautiful and
> can throw one into a devotional rapture.
>
> But how do you reconcile this looking between thoughts  with
> shankara-s
> definition on verse 13-25, meditation is like continuous flow of oil.

Ravi - I donot see any contradiction. First, without recognition of
Krishan and his music, there is no raasaliila.  Once that is recognized
the dance goes on continously.  Here the oil example has two
implications. One is not continuity of the thought patterns towarads the
Lord - that is the raasaliila instead of disco dance, and second aspect
is the snehabhaava.  The oil sticks to the hand once you touch it.  Once
attached to the the lord the mind sticks to that or thoughts patterns
are  centered around that - it  is both continutity and ekagrata
involved.  What is implied in my post is to shift the attention in the
rasaliiala from the the thoughts - which are although centered on the
Lord to the Lord itself.  Thinking of the Lord is different from to
identify with the Lord himself or to become one with him.  That is
Bhakti to the ultimate since there cannot be anything other than the
Lord.  The bhakta gets dissolved in the alther of the love for the
supremen.  Yes then one cna see recognized that I am there in the gopies
too. Then only as others have pointed out that one is there inspite  of
thoughts as the essence of the thoughts - pasyamme yogomaiswram - They
are all in me and I am in all them becomes knowledge - that is adviata
or non-duality inspite of duality.

> ekAgrataya tat chintanam dhyAnam tatha dhyAtiitiva bakaH dhyAtiitiva
> pR^thvi dhyAtiitiva parvataH iti upamApAdAnat | *tailadhAravat*
> santataH
> avachchhinnapratyayo dhyAnam ....
>
> Here the dhyAnam is on Atman,  (If I am not mistaken and remember
> correctly) this idea comes in trishatii bhAshyA and also in vyAsa
> bhaashya
> of  patanjali's yoga suutra. It is not like oil dripping drop by drop
> and
> one is looking at the gaps in the drops. It is a continous flow, where
> ceases to see gaps.Even in verse 61 of shivAnandalaharI, dhyAnam on
> Lord is
> like continous flow of river into ocean (sindhu sarit vallabham).
>

> I may be wrong,  hence look forward to your corrections and comments.

Ravi if you think deeply you see there is no contradiction

Hari Om!
Sadananda

=====
What you have is His gift to you and what you do with what you have is your gift to Him - Swami Chinmayananda.