Statements in our shastras

Vaidya Sundaram vaidya_sundaram at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 10 08:34:57 CST 2003

Namaskaram.
 At a more personal level, I would like to think that the one who enforces
any of these (if at all they were true) is an all forbearing God. The
fundamental tenet of the shastras of an all knowing and all merciful God
guarantees that such descriptions of cruel punishment are not carried out
unjustly.
 If at all you want to look at what punishments are given for what actions
deemed as sin, then you would be interested in reading more of sections of
bhagavatam which describe the levels of narakam, and the actions of men
which lead them there. Are you a kleptomaniac? You would be surprised to see
how badly one would suffer for being so ... the quotes you have given are
not the only wierd punishments that do not seem to fit the nature of the
actions seen as sin ... if you want to see how you may escape those, read
the bhagavatam :) - the very act of reading the bhagavatam is a remedy!
 Whilst so, it is our responsibility to look at the exhortations out of each
of us, and proceed accordingly, trying to satisfy the minimums we can, and
leave the rest off to the dispensation of God, after our best attempts have
failed.

bhava shankara desikame sharaNam.
Vaidya.