Vivekachoodaamani

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 14 12:22:19 CST 2003

The pancha kosha contd.

207. The fifth sheath is aanandamaya kosha or the blissful sheath, the
reflection of the real blissfulness. But it is reflected in the tamas
quality of maayaa and one feels it only under favorable circumstances. It
comes from good actions and appears without any effort on one’s own part.

208. The blissful sheath can be seen only in sushupti. In dream and in the
wakeful state you can get a glimpse of it when you meet with favorable
conditions or the fulfillment of desires.

209. This is not the atman because it has something to depend on while the
atman shines in its own glory. Then also it is the transformation of nature.
It requires good actions to be blissful so it has a cause. Therefore it is
not the atman. It remains with the body which is the result of the gunas.
Therefore it is not the atman.

210.  If you can do away with these five sheaths through the instructions of
the scriptures, what remains? The witness, the consciousness – that is the
Atman – self-effulgent, free from the five sheaths, the witness of the three
states, never changing, pure, ever blissful. Know this as your own self.
That is the Atman.