jIvan mukta's world view

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 2 15:39:29 CST 2003

nanda chandran <vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>>See following verses from Atmabodha, the words of a jIvanmukta -
>>
>>samyak.h viGYaanavaan.h yogii svaatmanyevaakhilaM jagat.h .
>>ekaM cha sarvamaatmaanamiikshate GYaanachakshushhaa .. 47..

>What Shankara means by the verse can be one thing and what we understand of
>it can be something else.

I don't see why this should be so. The Sanskrit used in these texts can
still be read, understood and translated today. Besides, the two verses
quoted are part of a longer text, which says more about the subject.

To perpetually live in a state of mind that says, "we can't be sure what
Shankara meant," is to refuse to understand what he does say, especially in
cases where the meaning is straightforward.

Best wishes,
Vidyasankar