kAtyAyanI

Thu Jan 16 14:42:03 CST 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Anand Hudli wrote:

>  One should weigh options while choosing the translation or synonym.
>  For example, one of the meanings of "shivA" is a jackal. We should not
>  interpret this as characterizing shiva's spouse, PArvatI. Again, "Hari"
>  can also mean "monkey", but whether we choose this meaning depends on
>  the context. In another context, "Hari" can be a lion. In yet another,
>  bhagavAn shrI Hari Himself.

Your point is duly noted however the amarakosha vyakhya of Bhanuji Dikshit
or Rama Ashram quotes this definition under names of Devi.  The
half-shloka from amarakosha (1.36) is

umA kAtyAyanI gaurI kalI haimAvatIshvarA ||

I am looking for other references to the name and its definition.

One I have found is in shloka 6 of the devikavacha (ShaShTaM kAtyAyanIti)
Bhaskararaya has written Guptavati on this and the rest of the Chandipath
but he does not comment on this verse.  Nagesha Bhatta (incidently he was
the grand-nephew of Bhanuji Dikshit) in his pradipa commentary gives yet
another explanation:

kAtyAyanIti devakaryArthe kAtyaYanAshrame AvirbhutA tena kanyAtvena
svIkrteti kAtyAyanIti nAmabhagavatyAh |

Katyayani: To fulfill the mission of the Gods She was born in the Ashram
of [Rshi] Katyayana fullfiling his Wish She become his daughter.  Thus
Katyayani is a name of the Goddess.

More to follow.