Chanting of the name

Ravi Mayavaram ravi at AMBAA.ORG
Fri Jan 31 17:55:15 CST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 04:36:44 -0800, kuntimaddi sadananda
<kuntimaddisada at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>As the meditation proceeds the there is a shift in the attention from
>the thought to the silence in between the thoughts.
>This is the essence of japa-yoga.

The example of krishhNa and gopika-s was cited by you is very beautiful and
can throw one into a devotional rapture.

But how do you reconcile this looking between thoughts  with shankara-s
definition on verse 13-25, meditation is like continuous flow of oil.

ekAgrataya tat chintanam dhyAnam tatha dhyAtiitiva bakaH dhyAtiitiva
pR^thvi dhyAtiitiva parvataH iti upamApAdAnat | *tailadhAravat* santataH
avachchhinnapratyayo dhyAnam ....

Here the dhyAnam is on Atman,  (If I am not mistaken and remember
correctly) this idea comes in trishatii bhAshyA and also in vyAsa bhaashya
of  patanjali's yoga suutra. It is not like oil dripping drop by drop and
one is looking at the gaps in the drops. It is a continous flow, where
ceases to see gaps.Even in verse 61 of shivAnandalaharI, dhyAnam on Lord is
like continous flow of river into ocean (sindhu sarit vallabham).

I may be wrong,  hence look forward to your corrections and comments.

--

In namasmaraNa, one need not think on the same nAma. One can think on
string of nAma-s, for examples the 300 names lalitAtrishatI, one after

Ravi