[Advaita-l] Causal Body

M. S. Ravisankar ravi at ambaa.org
Wed Jun 4 11:15:20 CDT 2003

> Ravi - In the dream state the 'will' to act is not there at the same
> potential - Take for example - the animals - they exhaust vasana-s only
> but do not accumulate new vasana-s.  In a way, they are pre-programmed
> or what we call instinctively driven, whereas in the human, the
> intellect is in high potential (leaving of course people who act as
> animals!). There is discriminative intellect that knows right from
> wrong.  Sin is therefore defined as the divergence between mind and
> intellect - that is exactly the vasana-s.  Man can sin but not animals.
> The difference thus exists between waking state and dream state. That is
> my understanding.

I think we should work with standard definitions. According to yoga,
karmaashaya is latent impression of action and vaasana is latent impression
of the feeling. vasana-s serve as field for the seed of karmashaya to grow
and come into fruition. I am saying this from my memory, if your refer to
Sri Hariharananda Aranya's book, he  discusses these issues in a great
detail.  If I find time, I will try to summarize or cut&paste relevant
paragraphs (as this book is on the netlibrary).

Ravi