[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 18

Jay Nelamangala jay at r-c-i.com
Thu Jun 5 23:03:52 CDT 2003

>It is physically impossible for a dumb man to verbally shout "I am dumb."
>However, he can shout it in his mind, and nobody will be able to listen to
>him shouting mentally, but the fact would remain that he is indeed shouting
>out in his mind that he is dumb.

So?.    I don't see its relevance to the case being discussed.

When a person that can speak  keeps saying "I am dumb"
then it does'nt make him dumb.   That is the case being discussed.
It only makes him self contradictory.    Similarly,  to ascertain
attributes called "attributelessness" and "partlessness" to an entity
does not make it partless and attributeless.  It only makes it
self-contradictory.

> "asti" etc. It teaches us negatively, by saying "na iti" "na iti", the
> negation being addressed to all that is confined to parts and attributes.
> That is enough for a student to begin with.

This "Neti Neti" is another passage that we have to take a closer look at
in the context of that upanishat.   I will do it sometime soon.

> We advaitins do another major leap of faith, by listening with total faith
> to the Sruti that tells us that brahman is partless. Seen in this light,
it
> is ironic indeed that you have expressed great concern for Sruti in the
> past.

Which shruti told you Brahman is partless and attributeless?  May I ask?
I take it as a compliment that you remembered me as having great
concern for shruti.  My concern is shruti interpreted with the help of
sootras.

> This is what it boils down to. We advaitins think you are fundamentally
> mistaken, and you think the same about us. Let us leave it at that,
without
> indulging in any more vAg-vilApanam.

It is upto you.  But in my opinion,  this  gives me a chance to verify
the soundness of my own understanding of  shruti-sootras-geetha.
So I do not consider as mere vAg-vilApana.
We can keep it more friendly,  I do respect your knowledge of shAstra.

> I, for one, would like to see you make such a claim explicitly, instead of
> pretending to some respect for saints of all stripes. Then we can perhaps
> discuss the rest and then keep silent.

As for the three AchAryas,  yes I do respect them

In my school,  Sri Shankara is considered as an  incarnation of Shiva,
Sri RAmAnuja is considered as an incarnation of AdiShEsha,
and Sri Madhwa is considered the third avatAra of vAyu, after hanuma and
bheema.

So how can I disrespect any of  them?  or pretend to  respect any of them?
I disagree with some of the tenets of  philosophy of Sri Shankara, because
our
AchAryas have taken the trouble of exposing the "internal inconsistencies"
in
advaita before arriving at their own philosophies.

But,  Sri Shankara did not have to do it,  because dvaita was just not
there.
He had to deal with mainly poorva-mImAmsaa and Buddhism which he
has successfully done.
Some people blindly say that Sri GoudapAda had already done it with dvaita.
But one should study AnuvyAkhyAna and NyAya-sudhA before making
such statements.