[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 29

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 9 17:31:24 CDT 2003

>cause of this world as Parabrahman,  because the world is the work
>of God.  If world itself is denied,  then it is denial of its cause,
>Parabrahman.

Not necessarily. You are making a crucial category mistake in your logic,
but you are not alone in that. This mistake has been made by all non-advaita
schools of vedAnta, and enshrined as an axiom. To make a statement about the
reality of an effect is not to make the same judgment about the cause.

I dreamt last night that a child was born to a two month old girl. This
concept is the work of neurons firing away in my brain. As such, it is
unreal. Yet my brain and its neurons are real enough, right?

>The reality check on this world is not by making postulates on
>reality of the world.   Whether you say this world and its contents

What gives you the impression that we make postulates about the un/reality
of the world? Rather, it is you that makes the postulate that the world is
absolutely real and then arranges Sruti and smRti around your postulate.

>are real,  and then drink a cup of poison,  or you say this world
>and its contents are unreal and then drink the cup of poison,
>the effect of the poison is same  that the person will die.

This is the kind of ridiculous argumentation that we advaitins are totally
fed up with. The effect of the poison is that the body will die. The AtmA
will not die. na hanyate hanyamAne SarIre.

Vidyasankar