[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 29

Kotekal, Srinivas [Non-Employee/0200] srinivas.kotekal at pharmacia.com
Wed Jun 11 16:27:05 CDT 2003

Welcome the forum Mr. Nagarjuna ,

> >Sutra "janmAdysya yatah." clearly indicates Brahmn is the creator of this
 > >world. The world has to be real in order to make sense of what sutra is
> > saying. By denying the reality of this world you are either denying the
> > Sutra itself or the act of Brahmn. This sutra indicates explicit act of
> > Brahmn (i.e the creation), where as your example of dream is not an
> > voluntary process on the dreamer part (even if one wish to dream one can
not
> > dream accordingly). Hence by denying the content of dream as unreal you
may
> > not deny the dreamer I agree. But when we have an sutra statement saying
> > Brahmns explicit act of creation, I do not see how denying the realty of
> > world is **not same** as denying Brahmn.

> This sutra is probably the best justification for advaita. Shankara does
not say so however. But
> if   the   dialectic of the buddhist philosopher Nagarjuna is applied, it
is not difficult to see why this sutra
 > can  give justification to advaita alone.

> According to Nagarjuna's viewpoint, an existent effect in terms of
self-nature (svabhava) does not depend
 > on anything else for its present existence. The above sutra "janmAdyasya
yatah" clearly indicates the absolute
 >dependance of the world on brahman. If we now consider the viewpoint of
Nagarjuna, it should mean that the
 >world by itself has no self-nature. If it had any self-nature, then it
would not have been dependant on brahman
 >to exhibit it. This leads one to propose that the world is unreal interms
of its separate self-nature - separate
 >from brahman. This forces one to conclude that this sutra clearly says
that brahman alone is the absolute
 >reality.

Well, we are talking about reality of world and not its self-nature or it's
independence from Brahmn. You are saying , world is unreal in terms of its
separate self-nature , and may I ask why there should be any condition (such
as "self-nature" ) for the definition of Reality ? What is the pramaNa for
such definition of reality ? Reality is nothing to do with dependence or
not. We do agree, this world and all these jIvas are eternally depends on
Brahmn.

 >To consider an example - The sun is termed as luminous as it gives its own
light. The moon also gives light
 >on  a full-moon day for example. But the moon is termed non-luminous
because its light depends on that of the
 >sun. Luminosity cannot be the self-nature of the moon as the moon depends
on the sun to exhibit luminosity.

True, but, we need physical moon to begin with  to reflect the sun's light,
isn't it ? Sun itself is not Moon. Without moon, no moon light even if sun
light is there. Moon light depends on Sun light but also at the same time
moon is *as real as* the Sun itself.

Regards,
Srinivas.

This communication is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may
contain information that is legally privileged, confidential or exempt from
disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any
prohibited.  Anyone who receives this message in error should notify the
sender immediately and delete it from his or her computer.