[Advaita-l] kshetram and kshetraj~na

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 11:33:01 CDT 2003

Jay - I thought you are the expert in adhyaasa-s!

aham jiivaamsi is notional and 'aham brahmaamsi' is factual. One is
bhramaa and the other is pramaa.

That is the essence of adhyaasa - shaashtra becomes pramaaNa to replace
the notionality by factuality!

For your other comment - "that Krishna says j~naani attains parabrahma
and does not become parabrahma". I thought you are the proponent of
samanvaya too. Now if shaastra says: brahmavit brahma eva bhavati"
-'eva' being emphasized.  By your principle of samanvaya, it is obvious
that j~naani who is the knower of brahman becomes brahman.

Knower of quantum mechanics does not become quantum mechanics.  But
knower of brahman becomes brahman only becuse this knowledge is not that
"this is brahman" - or "I am going to attain Brahman"  - but "I am
brahman" - "aham brahmaasmi" - "ayam aatma brahma".  Finite cannot
become infinite. But if one is already infinite but thinks he is only
finite, then that thinking is adhyaasa and is only notional.  Knowing
brahman is just dropping the notions that I am a jiiva. Is it not what
was discussed in adhyaasa bhaasya by Shankara?

Hari OM!

Sadananda

--- Jay Nelamangala <jay at r-c-i.com> wrote:
> Dear Sadaananda,
>
> Namaste.   I would like to know what exactly you mean
> when you say something is notional, and something is factual.
> Help me out.

=====
What you have is His gift to you and what you do with what you have is your gift to Him - Swami Chinmayananda.