Statements in our shastras

Erama Kiruttinan eraamak at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 5 18:08:03 CST 2003

Namaste.
"Nayars" or "Nairs" are actually shudras.
They follow a matrilineal system.
Hence  a Brahmin [ Nambudiri] man or a Kshatriya [Varma,Raja] man might have
an alliance with a Nair woman. Their progeny belongs to 'Nair' caste. By
this system, there are instances of paternal grandfather being a Brahmin, as
he was belonging to Nambudiri community; father a Kshatriya as his mother
was from Varma community and son a Shudra as his mother was from the Nair
community.
This is mindboggling, but this was the system being followed till very
recently.

Nowadays, with some exceptions, Nairs marry amongst themselves, Varmas marry
amongst themselves and so do the Nambudiris.