Dvaita and Sophistry - Part 1(The nature of difference)

Kiran B R kiranbr at ROCKETMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 13 11:34:02 CST 2003

tvayi mayi chaanyatraiko vishhNuH
vyarthaM kupyasi mayyasahishhNuH .
bhava samachittaH sarvatra tvaM
vaaJNchhasyachiraadyadi vishhNutvam.h ..

In me, in you and in everything, none but the same Vishnu dwells. Your
anger and impatience are meaningless. If you wish to attain the status of
Vishnu soon, have samabhava always.

bhajagovindaM bhajagovindaM
govindaM bhajamuuDhamate .
saMpraapte sannihite kaale
nahi nahi rakshati DukRiJNkaraNe

Worship Govinda, Worship Govinda, Worship Govinda. Oh fool ! Rules of
Grammar will not save you at the time of your death.

-Kiran

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 16:49:45 +0000, kalyan chakravarthy
<kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Namaskaaram,
>
>TO MY FELLOW ADVAITINS
>
>It is my pleasure to introduce you to the world of sophistry and flawed
>logic of Dvaita. As fellow Advaitins(I hope all people here are
Advaitins),
> [...]
>not different. This is contrary to the fact that you can still percieve
(and
>note that there is something called *valid perception* which Dvaita boasts
>of)difference between two jars which are exactly identical. Now if *this
>difference* is not addressed, then once again Dvaita will have the dustbin
>as its destination.
>
>REPLY 2.
>How does this justify saying that difference is part of both entities?
>
>OBJECTION 3.
>Is it not simple to understand? The differnce between entity 1 and entity
2
>is the same as the difference between entity 2 and entity 1.
>
>REPLY 3.
>No but we are talking about the difference of entity 1 from entity 2, or I
>mean the *property of being different*.
>
>OBJECTION 4.
>The point was already addressed in OBJECTION 1 AND REPLY 1. Let the
>*property of being different* be a part of the entity. But unless and
until
>you are going to address the issue of the *difference* itself, I can
safely
>throw Dvaita into the trash can.
>
>REPLY 4.
>You need not do that. I accept once again that the *difference* itself is
>part of the entity.
>
>OBJECTION 5.
>What about my OBJECTION 3?
>
>REPLY 5.
>I dont accept it. I would say, entity 1 by being itself is inherently
>different from entity 2.
>
>OBJECTION 6.
>That gives me another reason for throwing Dvaita into the dustbin. You are
>once again talking about only the *property of being different* and not
the
>*difference* itself.
>
>REPLY 6.
>OK. OK. I accept that differnce between entity 1 and entity 2 is the same
as
>the difference between entity 2 and entity 1.
>
>OBJECTION 7.
>Then what is the locus of this difference?
>
>REPLY 7.
>Entity 1.
>
>OBJECTION 8.
>Why not entity 2?
>
>REPLY 8.
>Why should it be?
>
>OBJECTION 9.
>Because of your reply 6. And moreover is the difference in Dvaita  not a
>part of an entity itself? So, what do you say when you want to look at the
>difference between entity 2 and entity 1? It should be inherent to entity
2,
>by your own logic(sophistry).
>
>REPLY 9.
>Yes. I agree that difference between entity 1 and entity 2 is inherent to
>entity 1 and also to entity 2.
>
>OBJECTIONS 10. & 11. (Please read them carefully)
>
>10. In that case, you are saying that the same difference appears twice.
How