Upanishads -- Commentaries

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at REDIFFMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 14 01:15:47 CST 2003

Dear Mr. Sanjay Verma,

appropos to your questions, the reply is as under :-

1.  Sri (Adi) Shankaracharya has written his Direct Commentaries
on only 10 Principal Upanishads as has been generally accepted by
Scholars worldwide.  However, in his famous Brahma Sutra Bhashya,
he quotes and handles quotations from other upanishads as well,
including the svetaswatara, koushitaki, jabala etc.

  2.  One sri Sankarananda Saraswathi, (the Guru of the author of
Panchadasi,)  has written a vrithi on about 27 Upanishads, only a
few have been published.  the advantage we can gather from these
vrithis is that they are in a very lucid style, simple in
explaining and handle good examples.     entire work has not been
published unfortunately.

   however, we have the complete commentary of Sri Upanishad
Brahmendra Yogi of Kanchipuram who has extensively commented on
ALL THE 108 Upanishads.  they are available in Print even now..
See the catalogue of Theosophical Society.     The style of the
commentary is just like following the Great Shankaracharya.

3.  In my humble view, there is no need for anyone to explain the
Great Shankaracharya....per se.      The Acharya is ALWAYS SELF -
EXPLANATORY.  He does not need a sub- commentator to re-explain
Him.  He is never tired of explaining the tersy concepts by so
many words, in so many ways in so many different places spread out
throughout the Commentaries.  If God blesses one with a Sad-Guru,
i think nothing more that the Bhasyas per se is necessary.

   also, to read vedanta parimala, and kalpataru etc. one needs to
be very thorough with the Mimamsa exegies and Sanskrit Grammer.
Also, Nyaya is necessray to such a great level.

  Whatever is necessary to a Spiritual Aspirant and for his
ratiocination based on universal common sense experience is amply
provided and explained by the Acharya Himself.

the sub-commentaries have their own ultimate purposes to solve,
including the defence of their own sub-system..like the clash
between Bhamathi and Vivarana  etc.

i dont understand why such a very scholarly level is necessary at
the inital stages.

This is my Humble view Sir.  If you are in case very particular
about the Sub-commentaries; the books are available at Motilal
Banarsidass and/or Chowkamba Varanasi.

thank you
venkat.