Dasa Avatars

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 1 22:11:37 CDT 2003

Namaskaaram,

Understand the usage of the word *proper*. Which means, some puranas were
tampered with, unlike other smriti texts like gItA. Many puranas contradict
each other openly. In this context, the sruti reigns supreme. Purana
portions that contradict sruti will be liable to rejection and cannot be
used as a *valid* smriti. In the brahmasUtras, portions of some smritis are
rejected due to the same reason.

May be it would be better for you read the exact definitions of sruti,
smriti etc.

Best regards
Kalyan

>From: Malolan Cadambi <cadambi at HOTPOP.COM>
>To: ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG
>Subject: Re: Dasa Avatars
>Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:30:39 -0500
>
> > Are you asking me to believe the padma purana? :):):)
> > The puranas are not even proper smriti texts.
>
>http://www.kamakoti.org/hindudharma/
>
>I suppose it is best for you to start from the basics.
>
> > You are giving me varied definitions of dharma. Sometime back you said
>that
> > chanting janardhana's names is dharma. Now you say that puranas are the
> > heart of dharma.
>
>Dharma has so many meanings. There are atleast 8 Smriti-s like the Manu
>Smriti, Yajnavalkya Smriti, Harita Smriti and so on.
>
>"DharmO rakshati rakshitaha"
>
>Regards,
>
>Malolan Cadambi

Tried Feng Shui yet? Learn the yin & yan.
http://www.msn.co.in/Astrology/FengShui/ Make it work for you!