vishNu purANa - English translation

Min min at NWLINK.COM
Mon May 5 20:46:30 CDT 2003

Would any of you, (who know far more than I), comment on the Geeta and
Upanishad translations? In the Geeta, I own the Isherwood, Juan Mascaro and
the Chinamayananda (with commentary). In the Upanishad, I only have the
Mascaro. From, by own background as a reporter, writer and author in
English, I prefer the mascara. But is this translation acceptable?  I am
very wary and shy away from the missionary translator too.

Min

-----Original Message-----
From: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
[mailto:ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG]On Behalf Of S. Sriram
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 4:39 PM
To: ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG
Subject: Re: vishNu purANa - English translation

> I was waiting for someone to make this point. At all costs, please avoid
> translations by missionaries like H H Wilson and a host of others. As a
> general rule of thumb, do not read any translation by western "missionary

I do agree that the motivations and translations etc. of the colonialists
were
not, to put it mildly, with the interests of the Hindus or Hinduism in mind.

However, it is of interest to note that Mahatma Gandhi's first exposre to
the Bhagvad Gita was with Sir Edwin Arnold's translation which had
a profound effect on him.

The beauty and majesty of these works cannot be hidden by corrupt
translations
and IMHO access to them is of greater value than no access. Tamil & Telugu
works unfortunately equal no access to the English reader.

Thanks
Srinivasan Sriram