[Advaita-l] RE: Dasa Avatars(In response to Shri B. Shankar)

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at hotmail.com
Sun May 18 19:12:57 CDT 2003

Namaskaaram,

>The vedas includes the upanishads too. I wouldn't agree with a blanket
>statement saying that He has rejected them. BTW, He has also quoted from
>the
>non-upanishad parts of the vedas, hasn't He?

It is not that the entire upanishads are jnana kanda and the non-upanishadic
part is karma kanda. There are overlaps on both sides. Have you read the
atharva veda by the way?- Magical spells and incantations.

There is another important point regarding the vedas. It is Indra and Agni
who are the most important deities in the vedas, judging by the number of
hymns they occupy. The Rg veda for example is remarkable in this regard. The
number of hymns dedicated to Indra and Agni are very very very high compared
to those that are dedicated to Rudra or Vishnu. This is a mystery which I am
not able to figure out. How come these deities Vishnu and Rudra became so
important when Indra and Agni have almost faded?

>For normal day-to-day life, the karma kanda is of great importance.

This is a rather general statement from you. What is the goal of life? What
is "normal"? Rituals or the quest for truth?

Best Regards
Kalyan