[Advaita-l] RE: e-vEdAnta course

Bhadraiah Mallampalli vaidix at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 03:58:58 CST 2003

Dear list members,

The duality of guru and shishya must be removed before mukti. Nature is the
best teacher, but unfortunately nature doesn't say much, so we need
teachers. Before going for a teacher it is good idea to exhaust our own
resources first. Only then we realize importance of the teacher.

But who said mukti is the ultimate goal for everybody? It is the goal only
for those who understand the futility of the objects. For others it is
partly materialistic and partly adhyatmic, on a sliding scale. As you go
down you compromise more and more. I have seen satsangs where the 'certified
administrator' of the satsang decides the conclusion of a discussion, and
ignores stronger arguments using his 'authority'.

All said, we still need to encourage these activities because something is
better than nothing. Some dharma is better than no dharma.

BTW, Vaidic texts not only offer merit (titles of vajapayee etc), but also
caution the risk of demerits if mistakes are made. Participants of a vedanta
course must be warned that the certificates may not be worth the paper.

Best regards
Bhadraiah