[Advaita-l] Potential and differentiated nama roops

Prasad Balasubramanian besprasad at lycos.com
Fri Nov 28 02:45:24 CST 2003

namasthe,

 I was reading the presentation on advaita of
shri Krishna Iyer.

 There in part-III the following topic comes.
http://www.katha.org/Academics/Advaita-PT-III.html
I've  a few questions which I've given after this paragraph in this mail.

=====================

Section 10 – Creation of the world  :
=====================================

"The Advaita concept of creation is called “vivarta
vada”. Brahman , the Existence-Consciousness does not
undergo change when creation takes place.  What
modifies are names and forms ( “ nama  roopa” ) . The
potential state of nama roopa  is called Maya . Maya
as no  existence of its own. It is a thing of a lower
order of reality superimposed on Brahman.  No
superimposition – ( superimposition of the unreal on
the real is called  ‘adhyasa’  in Sanskrit’) – can
xist unless there is a substrastum ( called ‘
adhishtanam’ in Sanskrit)   The consciousness aspect
of Brahman is reflected in Maya. Maya plus reflected
onsciousness is
==> called Iswara. Iswara visualises the world-to-be
and impels Maya to unfold the potential nama roopa as
differentiated nama roopa on the substratum of the
Existence –Consciousness Infinity called Brahman.
Bahman as Existence-Consciousness-Infinity is the
substratum for the superimposition
==>of the potential Nama roopa as well as the differentiated Nama roopa. Brahman  does not undergo
any change. However since Maya does not  exist
separate from Brahman, Brahman is called “vivarta
upadhana  karanam” (changeless material cause) of the
world and Maya is called the “ parinama upadhana
karanam” ( changing material cause) of the world."
==========

Here, can someone explain the lines between
the "==>"s ?

What is differentiated nama roopa and potential nama
roopa ?

Is potential nama roopa simply (all possible)
unmanifested  nama roopa that Maya can unfold into ?

And does differentiated nama roopa mean all the nama
roopa after Maya  unfolds or manifests ?

namasthe
Prasad